Sunday, April 17, 2011

Forever our son

I am finally getting a chance to post about Friday, the day we became a family of four!


As I added this first picture in to put on the blog, I noticed the background. What you see to the left is a picture of Senior Dr. Kim surrounded by children. Dr. Kim is the founder of Eastern who we had the privilege of meeting when we adopted Micah in 2007. He is now retired and in his 90's. His daughter, Dr. Kim, who took over for him says he still prays for all the children twice a day. I find it fitting that the picture was captured within this picture, the day we became a family of four! And the other awesome thing about this picture? Micah took it!

The sweetest words I've been hearing lately? "No, no, no, little brother." Micah says these words in the sweetest, sing songiest way! Even when little brother is squeezing his hyung's (big brother's) cheeks together or taking a toy from him, Micah is staying patient and non-violent. So far anyway...


When we adopted Micah, I felt so sad for his foster mother and thought how hard it must be for her, but it didn't hit me as hard as Asher's parting from his foster mother. When we adopted Micah, I hadn't been a mother yet. I didn't know how deeply you love a child and how fiercely connected your hearts become. I had no idea. Which means I had no idea how much Micah's foster mother's heart was being torn in two that moment she handed him to me and let go of him to be forever raised by someone else. Now I know that connection that a mother has for her child, and the thought of letting go of either of my sons is beyond anything I can bear. These women who choose to foster are the bravest, most loving people I will ever know and I am forever grateful to them all, but especially to the ones who raised my sons until it was time for them to be forever mine. 감사합니드, 민혁 엄마! 감사합니다, 민오 엄마!
My boys : ) I imagine they will have many fights in their lives like I had with my sisters, but I also see the hope of two brothers being each others' friend and greatest supporter when celebrations and trials come like my sisters have been for me. I hope to give them much in life, but the most important thing I have given them is each other because as my dad always said, "Your family is forever."

No comments: